As far as determining the Night of Power (Lailatul Qadr) is concerned, it has been reported to be during one of the odd numbered nights of the last ten days of Ramadan, i.e. 21st, 23rd, 25th, 27th or 29th. This will correspond with the night of the 18th, 20th, 22nd, 24th or 26th of July, 2014. It has been emphasized that it is most likely to be the 27th night.
As far as the signs of Lailatul-Qadr are concerned:
- The sun rises early in the morning without rays.
- Rain may fall either during the night or during the day of that night.
- During night the sky will be lightly foggy.
- The sky will be slightly lighted without reflections and without rays.
- The angels and Gabriel all descend down onto earth for many purposes.
If you are interested in living the Night of Power, let me remind you of some of the things that you might have to do.
- Try to observe it during the last ten days of Ramadan, at the time of sunrise, during the days and the nights.
- On the nights one may spend the time collectively and/or individually observing the following activities:
- Recitation of the Our’an.
- Prayers-Nafl after Taraweeh.
- Remembrance of Allah or zikr
- Supplication or Du’a for you and for others.
- Pondering and contemplating into the universe, the creation of the Heavens and the Earth: “…and they contemplate the (wonders of) creation in the heaven and the earth….”(3:191)
- Reading books of Hadeeth so as to enjoy the sayings of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).
- Reading Tafseer of Qur’an.
- Giving charity to others if you can afford it.
- Trying to explain Islam, if you know something about it, to those next to you so they will benefit from you.